I have been advising SME’s on IT for many years now and from experience, I know they can be split into two categories – Companies that value IT and companies that don’t. So the question to you Mr/Mrs Business owner is – Are you realising the investment you have made it IT? or to put it another way. Do you value IT?
The sad fact is, there are still a lot of smaller businesses that still see IT as an expensive overhead rather than an investment in their business. So how can I try to change your mind and put value back into IT.
Benefits of IT
- By implementing a good robust reliable IT system, you are making it easier for your employees to carry out their duties
- If you do not have a good, IT setup you will struggle to attract the best new employees
- Employees now demand the same level of IT from work as they get at home
- You cannot have a good work life balance unless you can work from any location
- You get better customer service and give a better customer experience
- Without careful thought, you are opening yourself up to a potential business disaster
I do genuinely feel sorry for business owners, they have so many pressures put upon them from employees, customers and banks that quite often, they don’t have the time or inclination to look at the way IT operates their business. The fact is, a good well planned and managed IT system can lift a huge weight off your shoulders.
Reasons for not improving your IT systems
- No time to look at them
- It aint broke so why should I fix it
- I don’t really understand it all, there are far too many choices and it is easier to do nothing
Any of the above ring a bell? If they do, then I cannot find fault with your thinking but I would like to try and change your opinion. So, let’s look at each reason in more detail:
- Ageing or slow IT systems cost you more money, because your staff are less productive and they are your largest cost overhead. With leasing, you can actually plan and budget for your upgrades
- As a business owner, you should be doing what you know best and running your business, leave the IT to the experts, get someone in you trust and has the knowledge to help you
- The one constant thing about IT is change. As an IT Consultant, I have to put a lot of time into learning about new ways of doing things. If your IT systems are over 2 years old, you should be getting advice on what is new and what can make you more productive.
- This is probably the biggest reason. Technology companies are very good at bringing out new gadgets. Not all of these can give you genuine business benefits, which is why a trusted advisor can help you. There is no reason why an SME cannot have the same level of IT as a major corporation such as Microsoft. IT is all about economy of scale and the really good news is that is doesn’t have to cost you a lot of money.
If you would like to look at ways to realise your investment in IT, then reach out and get in touch, you will find us friendly, honest and will genuinely have your best interests at heart. For more details then visit www.weareunleashed.com or call 0333 240 0565.